On October 26, a US operation launched on an Islamic State (IS) compound in the village of Barisha in Idlib province led to the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi leader of the IS group. *
- The operation was launched around 10:30 pm local time.
- An undisclosed number of terrorists were killed or captured in the assault.
- 11 children were removed.
- al-Baghdadi tried to escape through a tunnel but was trapped and confronted by US forces. He then detonated a suicide vest killing himself and 3 of his children.
- A DNA test onsite confirmed the identity of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Sensitive material was recovered in the compound.
- President Trump stated during the press conference that the exact location of al-Baghdadi was identified 2 weeks ago.
Terrorism incidents in Iraq vs Syria
(July 30th – October 28th)
*This report was generated using reports, mapping and analytics provided by the Horizon threat intelligence platform on October 28th, 2019.